In the life of any woman (in any case, in that part of her that concerns self-care), a special place is occupied by perfume. Perfumery is such an airy, ephemeral, invisible part of the image, which in its own way is more important than all the wardrobe items, shoes, and accessories. That smells are best captured, felt and remembered, and, in many respects, somewhere on a subconscious level. Perhaps you yourself noticed how certain smells make you vivid, distinct memories. So well-chosen women’s perfume fragrance can make the image unique, unique, imprinted on the subcortex. And in this article, we will try to tell you how to choose the right, really your perfume fragrance.
To begin with, what, in theory, every real woman should know: the basic classification of fragrances. In general, in the perfume shop, we often smell everything in an attempt to choose the smell that we like. However, knowledge of the main groups of perfume smells and the definition of those that are closest to you will help reduce the search area and make it more substantive and successful. So, the absolute majority of women’s perfume smells can be assigned to one of the following groups:
- Marine or aquatic. Such smells are invariably present in the products of each brand, which seriously approaches the production of perfume fragrance for women. These are light, cool, fresh, not too sweet smells that create the corresponding impression: lightness, grace, and beauty. They send us to the hot summer, raging greenery, the sound of the surf and the warm sand on the beach. Sometimes they add subtle vegetable notes. Most often, sea odors prefer to choose freedom-loving, independent and balanced personality.
- Flower. This is perhaps the most extensive group of flavors. To create them, manufacturers use extracts of rose, jasmine, violet, carnation, lily of the valley, lily, gardenia, peony, and other flowers. Many flower smells are quite sweet; some of them create a light train, others – “attack” the sense of smell of people around with a powerful and rich inflorescence of aromatic notes. However, they always remain feminine and spring.
- Citrus. If you like the fragrances of freshness, but for some reason, you don’t like sea flavors, citrus spirits are at your disposal. They are made from the pomace of lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit, lime, and bergamot. Often, to create an interesting aroma, floral, fruit, woody notes are added to them. Such smells can choose almost everything.
- Fruit. Apple, peach, pineapple, papaya, apricot, neroli and so on – fruit spirits can smell like a wide variety of ripe and juicy fruits growing on our planet. These are, as a rule, warm and sweetish flavors, which it makes sense to choose cheerful, energetic people who tend to gush with positive and bright ideas.
- Green or vetiver. In them, as a rule, notes of coniferous trees, juniper, rosemary, galbanum, lavender, coumarin are felt. Among female perfumes, they are found somewhat less frequently than among a male perfume fragrance, which, however, does not make them less attractive. These are cool aromas that refer to the fresh air of the morning forest. They are suitable for calm, peaceful people.
- Oriental or Oriental. They use notes of musk, vanilla, amber, and other oriental spices. It is rather “heavy”, but at the same time warm, deep, seductive and even sexual aromas. They should be chosen by sensual and temperamental women who want to emphasize with the spirits the passion of their nature.
- Spicy. Their compositions are based on the aromas of ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. Unknowingly they can be confused with Oriental or Oriental, but this is still another group of smells. They are also quite deep and warm, but with a priority, it is in the warmth and comfort, and not in unsupported passion. It is believed that spicy flavors are especially good in winter.
- Fuzherny. These perfumes have a peculiar name due to the fact that their compositions are built on the aroma of a fern (in French it is called “forge”). They also add notes of lavender, tree moss, bergamot, and geranium. By the way, the use of the smell of fern as the basis of the fragrance could confuse you: after all, it almost does not smell. However, it is believed that in combination with the additional notes listed above, it allows you to create your light, fresh smell of the forest after rain.
- Chypre. This is a special kind of perfume, the basic components of which are used aromas of sage, oakmoss, patchouli, lavender, bergamot, and resin. The result is a rather interesting smell: on the one hand, romantic, sweet and warm, on the other – fresh and airy. Chypre perfumes, like spicy, are best suited for use in the winter season.
- Aldehyde. They are made on the basis of a chemical synthesis of aldehydes. That is, these are chemical smells; however, they have a distinctive feature: they come into contact with human skin and the accompanying heating, they brighter and richer reveal their aroma. Most often, aldehyde perfumes have floral aromas with powdery notes, less often – with woody. The most famous example of aldehyde perfume is the well-known “Chanel No. 5”.
- Musk. These are intoxicating, very warm and seductive aromas with balsamic and woody hues. They cannot be called the most popular category of female perfume, but still, some of the fair sex prefer them. Musky aromas are best to choose overbearing people who are not shy about showing those around them that side of their nature.
- Woody. This is another category of perfumes, which are much more common in the men’s assortment, but the producers of women’s perfumery also do not leave her unattended. Their aromas may include notes of cedar, rosebush, sandalwood, etc.
- Leather and tobacco. We will complete our list with two frankly male categories of fragrances, giving the representatives of the stronger sex their brutality and seriousness. Actually, we could not mention them here, but nevertheless, recently the fashion for fragrances is becoming more and more asexual, and who knows – perhaps it is just such a manly smell that you will like more than others.
Other classification of spirits
In order to choose “your own” fragrance that best suits your needs and wishes, you must deal not only with the smell directly but also with a number of other characteristics of the perfume fragrance. For example, depending on the quality of the ingredients used, perfumes are divided into categories A, B, and C, where A is products with the highest quality raw materials, and C products with the least. There is also a separate category of absolutely natural perfumes that cost fabulous sums.
Another important classification – by percentage of essential oils:
- In perfume, the share of such oils is about 22%.
- Eau de Perfume may contain from 15% to 22% of essential oils.
- The composition of toilet water essential oils can include 8-15%.
- Cologne has about 4% of these oils.
Naturally, the higher the content of essential oils – the more saturated, rich and persistent is the fragrance and the more expensive perfumes.
Why choose your perfume fragrance slowly?
A very important condition for the correct choice is the lack of haste. If, for example, you can try on clothes in a quick way (one thing after another), then you shouldn’t use perfume like that. If only because any high-quality, well-thought-out fragrance does not open immediately, but contains several peculiar “layers” or components:
- Head notes. They are felt immediately, as soon as we begin to smell the perfume fragrance and disappear, as a rule, a few minutes after that.
- Main flavor. This is a kind of center, the heart of the whole composition: notes that last for several hours and are key to the specific smell.
- Final notes. They make up the “aftertaste” of the fragrance, prolong its presence on the skin, although they somewhat change the sound of the whole composition.
To feel the entire palette of fragrances used by the perfumer to create certain perfumes in a few seconds is simply impossible. To do this, you need to enjoy the smell as soon after application to the skin, and after at least a few minutes (and preferably 10-15 minutes). Otherwise, you may not really understand exactly what spirits are going to buy.
Other rules for the successful selection of its flavor
To choose the perfume fragrance that will delight you and help create the desired image in the eyes of others, you can also use the following tips:
- At one time you should try 3, maximum – 5 flavors. As you should guess from the above, for their qualitative “feeling” you will have to spend half an hour. You simply will not have time to feel more smells, or you will be tired of choosing so that you will not be able to understand what you like more. Therefore, it is very important to determine the category of the desired flavor from those listed earlier: so as not to waste time on those smells that you do not need now.
- Do not immediately splash perfume fragrance on your wrist. In any good perfume shop, there should be blotters – special pieces of paper for preliminary “acquaintance” with the smell. By the way, they also should not be sniffed at once: it is better to wait at least a couple of minutes after applying the perfume fragrance. And only if the smell on the blotter you like, it is worth finding out how it will “sound” on your skin.
- Go for the perfume in the morning, and try to use in the morning to a minimum use shower gels, deodorants, and other cosmetics that have certain odors. It is highly desirable for your sense of smell to be as “pure” as possible, without falling into a lot of extra odors. That is why it is better to make such purchases in the first half of the day: at this time, a person, as a rule, more keenly and distinctly feels shades of different smells. Actually, this applies to almost all of our sensory systems (by the evening they get a little tired, and the sharpness of perception decreases).
- Buy perfumes in good reputable stores, not in supermarkets or transitions. Of course, it will cost you more, but good perfumes are worth it.
We very much hope that all of the above will help you successfully choose your fragrance. Love yourself and do not forget to indulge yourself from time to time: including suitable spirits!