The crucian carp is an affordable, budget fish that is not classified as noble. The more striking is the metamorphosis that occurs with crucians if they are cooked in sour cream. Excellent taste and attractive appearance make the dish a worthy culmination of the festive table. The cooks of the best fish restaurants reveal the subtleties of preparing an appetizing fish delicacy in our article.
Choosing the ingredients
There are only two main components in this uncomplicated dish: crucian and sour cream. If you are a happy owner of freshly caught crucians, the success of the dish is guaranteed. Fresh fish does not need additional culinary excellence. Adding sour cream, in this case, will help to remove the smell of mud and bring unpretentious inhabitants of the ponds into the highest fish league.
True gourmets are invited to use the recipe of one of the heroes of A.P. Chekhov, who advised to add fine taste to crucians in sour cream, to pre-stand them alive in milk.
If such a luxury as a living catch is inaccessible to you, not scary. Go for crucian to the nearest market or fish store. Our tips will help you choose the freshest fish:
- Inspect the gills of crucian carp: they should be red in fresh individuals.
- Mucus on the scales – a clear sign of not the first freshness.
- Pay attention to the eyes: in fresh specimens, they are clean, without turbidity and blood impurities, as in the photo.
The second important ingredient of the dish is sour cream. For the preparation of delicious crucians, we recommend giving preference to home-made sour cream, which is famous for its high-fat content. Choosing sour cream in the store, avoid the inscription “sour cream product”, which indicates the presence in the composition of vegetable fats and emulsifiers.
Baked crucians in sour cream
Cooks in Russia believed that in order to preserve the taste of the fish, it was not necessary to add anything except sour cream and a minimum of spices. If you are an adherent of native Russian cuisine and love the natural taste of products, this recipe is for you. It will serve as a basic cheat sheet, how to process and cut fish before cooking. This procedure must be followed and all other recipes.
It may seem that the larger the fish, the better. However, the opposite is true for this dish. It is recognized that the most delicious crucians in sour cream are obtained from medium-sized fish, not more than 20 cm in length, as they say – “ladoshechnoy”. So do not rush to scold your men for the small catch. Of course, you can take specimens and larger ones, but sour cream will spread on the surface of the fish and less impregnates it.
- Crucians – 6 pcs.
- Oily sour cream – 300 g
- Drain oil – 50 g
- Salt, pepper, flour.
Clean the crucian carp scales, remove the gills and entrails. Fins and tail cut with kitchen scissors. Wash carp cleaned thoroughly.
Council of experienced chefs
- If the fish smells strongly of river silt, soak it first for a couple of hours in saline, and then in normal water. If the smell of tina does not cause you unpleasant emotions, it is not necessary to do this at all. By the way, small Karasik still does not have time to soak up the smell of silt, so many people consider them much tastier.
Step-by-step recipe of carp in sour cream
- Dry the carcasses with paper towels. Do not neglect this step, otherwise, the fish will be covered with a thick layer of flour when rolling over, but we need to get a thin baked crust.
- Grind or mill 10 peppercorns in a mortar in a mill, mix it with salt and rub with the whole carcass mixture, including the head and belly.
- Put the crucian carp in a deep bowl and leave for 15 minutes. to soak in spices.
- Carefully roll crucian carp in flour.
- Melt the amount of butter in the pan ¾, the rest of the greased baking dish. Fry crucians for 2 min. from each side. Appetizing ruddy crust largely determines the presentability and taste of the dish.
- Lay in a refractory form of carp in one layer. If you are preparing a large dish, it is better to take the dishes more spaciously. Crucians in the oven can be baked in the sleeve, foil, glass baking mold.
- Put sour cream on top of the fish, trying to distribute it evenly. Leave on for ten minutes, so that the sour cream will spread and fill the entire space of the form. If sour cream is not fat, you can put a few more pieces of butter on top.
- Place the form in a hot oven, preheated to 200-220 degrees. It will take some time to boil sour cream, and then keep the dish in the oven for half an hour until a beautiful crust is formed. If the fish is blighted and not burnt, then everything turned out perfectly.
Put the finished crucians hot on a beautiful dish and sprinkle with greens. Baked potatoes, french fries, grilled vegetables are perfect as a side dish.
In vintage culinary folios, the recipe for crucian carp in sour cream is concise, like all ingenious. You will not find any additional ingredients there. But modern chefs have simplicity and naturalness, not in honor. They prefer gastronomic delights, a varied taste of dishes and original recipes.
Fantasy crucians in sour cream can be supplemented with fried onion, tomatoes, decorated with lemon slices, sprinkled with breadcrumbs or cheese. Gourmet recipes are advised to lay in the abdomen spicy greens and exotic spices. Having mastered the basic recipe, you can try to experiment.
Crucians in sour cream in a pan with onions
If you do not want to burden yourself with kindling the oven, washing trays or have a limited time limit, we advise you to resort to this recipe. Crucians on it turn out not less tasty and especially will please fans of onion smack in fish.
You will need:
- Crucian carp – 4 pcs.
- Onions – 2 pcs.
- Sour cream – 500 g
- Oil for frying.
- Spices, greens.
- Clean and fry the fish just like in the first recipe.
- Cut the onion slices to transparency and golden.
- Put the fish on the onion; pour sour cream into the pan. Simmer on low heat undercover for 20-25 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, try the cream sauce. If necessary, add salt and spices.
- Serve the fish piping hot, sprinkling with chopped greens.
The hostess on the note
Since butter has a burning feature, fry fish with a gradual increase in fire. For each new portion, take fresh oil. Professionals use baked butter for frying that does not burn.
According to this recipe, the crucian carp is not covered with a creamy golden crust, but it becomes more juicy and fragrant.
Crucian carp in boneless sour cream in a slow cooker
The presence of small bones in the back makes for many the process of eating carp real test. Bone causes a lot of inconveniences when serving this dish to guests. We propose to use the company know-how, which eliminates the need to deal with the bones.
We will come to the aid of the ubiquitous multicooker. The secret is that to soften bones, fish must be baked for a long time at a high temperature. In the old days, this function was performed by a Russian wood-burning stove. Crucians were set to languish for the night, and in the morning there was no trace of the stones. But the multicooker will cope with this task without difficulty. Another plus of this wonderful technology is the combination of roasting and roasting in the same dish.
Grocery basket for 4 servings:
- Small Karasiki – 1 kg.
- Onion – 1 pc.
- Juice 1/2 lemon.
- Olive oil.
- Sour cream – 200 g
- Garlic – 2 teeth.
- A bunch of greens to taste.
Make cross-cut notches on the cleaned fish. Pour carcass with lemon juice and set aside for half an hour to marinate. Lemon juice will perform a double function: it will improve the taste of fish and partially soften the bones.
In the future, thanks to the cuts, the heat will gain access to the small bones and make them practically imperceptible. The rib and vertebral bones will naturally remain, but it is much easier to separate them. Mix flour with salt and pepper and roll carp in it.
Step by step cooking in a slow cooker:
- Set the mode “Fry” and pour in the oil. Crucians are fried on both sides. Turn off mode.
- Shred the greens and stuff it with the carcass.
- Spread a layer of chopped onion on top of the fish.
- Chop garlic teeth, mix with sour cream.
- Fill crucian with garlic-sour cream sauce. Turn on the mode “Baking” for 40 minutes.
- In the end, we remove the sample. If the bones are not softened, continue to cook for some time in the same mode.
Serve hot, pouring the garnish with the resulting sauce.
As you can see, it is extremely easy to cook crucian carp in sour cream even for a beginner in the culinary business. A dish can be a wonderful everyday dinner. Adding new ingredients, you can vary the treat savory flavors. Try, for example, to add carrots, cranberries, capers or prunes to onion frying. The sweet taste of carp is in harmony with both sweet and sour ingredients.
Separately it is necessary to say about the seasonings. For river fish in baked form are suitable: mint, basil, lemon balm, parsley, rosemary. If cooking for the first time put spicy herbs moderately. The main thing here is not to overdo it!
For a festive feast, try to wipe at something more ambitious to impress the guests and please the loved ones.
Stuffed Crucians in Sour Cream
- Large crucians – 2 pcs.
- Tomatoes – 3 pcs.
- Potatoes – 2 pcs.
- Lemon – 1 pc.
- Onions – 2 pcs.
- Sour cream – 100 g
- Oil for frying.
- Greens, spices to taste.
- For stuffing, it is better to take large, selective copies. Prepare them according to the rules: clean, wipe dry, make cross-shaped cuts, sprinkle with lemon juice or white wine, sprinkle with spices and salt.
- Onion, cut into thin rings, tomatoes – slices, potatoes – diced, chop the greens.
- Stuff the belly of crucians with tomatoes and herbs. Leave a few circles of tomatoes for decoration.
- Grease the form with oil. Put the potatoes in the center; place the prepared fish at the edges.
- Cover the top of the fish with onion rings. Pour all the sour cream.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes after boiling sour cream. Then change the potatoes and fish in some places and send again to the oven until the potatoes soften.
Stuffed crucians put on a dish, decorate with lemon and tomato slices, sprigs of greens and invite guests to the table!